Saturday, August 16, 2008

McKay, Alive and Well!

McKay wrote us another letter and we wanted everyone to keep updated. We should soon have a picture of him. He writes:

5 August 2008

Dear Family!

Well, we have begun a new week of training. It is starting to form more into formal training rather than just chaos. We did some M16-Bayonet training and learned some attacking strikes. Soon after we went over and did some Pugil Sticks (much like the gauntlet from American Gladiators). We have padded rods and we smack each other with them. I won my match with flying colors. I overpowered the other recruit, which makes me "The Dominator" which I rightfully take from Griffin!

7 August 2008

Well, I got cut off and couldn't finish writing this until today. Nothing has really changed since the 5th. We have just been doing a lot more drilling (marching) with our rifles, preparing for Initial Drill, which is the initial competition between the platoons in Fox Company. If we win it, you can expect a phone call from me. As I have stated previously, our Senior Drill Instructor care very much about his and the platoons image. He is a very proud man, but he is cool. He has served a couple of tours in Iraq and has seen the worst of war. But he constantly talks about all the stuff the troops are actually doing in Iraq which is taking care of the people. Only because he has been there and that's what they have been doing. Staying away from that subject, another cool thing has come up. We have prayer for 5 minutes every night and we separate into our different religions. We started out with 3-4 people in the Mormon group at the beginning. Now, we have 6-8 people who come to our circle almost every night. It is easy to see that the people in our platoon see us as "different" from everyone else in a good way. It really is cool to be able to do missionary work in such a hostile, unclean environment.

Today, we were doing some "cracking of the sticks" which is drilling with our rifles. It was a pretty stressful time. Our Drill Instructors weren't in the best of moods and some people in the platoon were having trouble with some of the movements. So whenever you would mess up, they would scream their lungs out at you and put you in pain with "rifle work outs" which are terrible. I swear the Lord was guiding my hands because I would randomly do the right movements while I was confused on what to do in the first place! However, one of my friends, Recruit Julson was yelled at because he made a small mistake . He lost it, slammed his rifle on the ground and took off out the door. He came back and is fine now but the instructors have a close eye on him.

8 August 2008

Well, I keep running out of time and can't finish this letter so I'll finally finish it now. We have been doing pretty much the same thing. I look forward to chow every day and Sundays cause that means the end or start of another week. Plus, church is like heaven on earth. Today we were out doing some drills with some "weapon inspection" moves. Another platoon from our company, 2122, challenged us to our "weapon inspection." We did and kicked them. Well, I have got to go. I will write later.

Have you guys bee getting my letters? I haven't heard or gotten anything from you guys so I am wondering if everything is alright.

I love you all very much and again look forward to October 17.

Mac

P.S. Let Shay and Griffin know that when I get back, I'll get on World of Warcraft again. That will get me through my MOS training. Plus, if you could type a letter or just print a picture of the family on a normal paper that would really boost my morale here.

Just so you know - we have done both - sent a letter and picture.

No comments: